About Toronto Wireless

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Why do I keep checking for new email on my BlackBerry even with notifications turned on?

By Ray Nicolini

Because I’m addicted.  By demand, I fiend for my email to be pushed at all times.  Makes me feel more connected, and “organized.”  Maybe not just email, but messages directed towards as through BlackBerry Messenger and text messaging as well.  Even when we have our notifications turned on with a vibrate or loud ring, we find ourselves checking consistently if there are any new messages.
For me, my “sickness” started on with my mornings or when waking up in the middle of the night.  As soon as my eyes would open, I’d reach for my BlackBerry and to see what I had missed while sleeping.  Sadly we look at it as “missing out,” and that’s why we’re so tuned into new notifications.  Later on, I stopped using holsters and belt clips just because my BlackBerry was always in my hand.  It never was away from me, and I’d be on top of a message as soon as it was received.
So back to the title, I always find myself checking and refreshing when my notifications are turned on anyway.  You get the idea.  We have become really addicted to receiving data on our mobiles.  That’s what the new thing is.  And it doesn’t only apply to BlackBerry, but all you Apple fanboys on iPhones and Android abusers too.  How is your smartphone addiction? Drop us a line in the comments and let us know!

No comments: